Photo from @jamie452 on unsplash.com
Our newsletters can arrive in your inbox every month. Not a subscriber yet? Become one today!
Happy New Year to all! We hope you had just the break you wanted - whether action-packed or full of rest. Next week we'll be gathering for Back to School.
Photo from http://newyearseveidea.com
Back to School 2020
Back to School 2020 will take place Thursday, Jan. 16. The FIC and Canvas teams will demonstrate how to incorporate inclusivity and effective MCQs into course design. RSVP for breakfast tacos and then tell us which workshops you would like to attend.
New Year, New Ideas
We have five new suggestions about starting the semester. Check out all the topics covered in our collection of Two-Minute Teaching Tips.
TPS Launching Soon
Join a community of graduate students exploring pedagogy through our Teaching Preparation Series. Learn more and apply! The first session, Understanding your role: How do I work effectively with students & faculty?, is Jan. 28 at 5:00.
Spring Canvas Prep
The Canvas team is offering a full slate of workshops to help you get ready for your courses. In addition, open office hours happen every Friday from 11:00-1:00 in the FIC (SZB 450). There are options for all experience levels.
Creating Wicked Students
RSVP and join us Wednesday mornings in February to explore ways we can help students tackle hard problems. Our text will be Paul Hanstedt's Creating Wicked Students. Contact Anne Braseby for a copy to start reading this month.
News from FIC Partners
New Libraries Search Tools System
On January 7, 2020, the UT Libraries launched a new search tools system. See the FAQs to find out how this affects searching and your library account. If you have any questions, please Ask a Librarian.
Eyes on Teaching 2020
Don't miss this unique opportunity to observe your colleagues in the classroom and consider your own practice. (Feb. 12-13)
Save the date - February
- Blended Learning Series: How do we effectively integrate learning technologies into our teaching practices and help students succeed? Join us for part one -Designing Blended Courses. (Feb. 7)
- Collaborative Learning Series: This series of four workshops will challenge the assumption that students already have the skills to productively work in pairs, groups, and teams. This first workshop will focus on interactions and skills needed for formal collaboration. (Feb. 20)
- Universal Design for Learning Series: UDL is a framework that promotes inclusion and equity in higher education contexts by identifying and reducing barriers that some students face, in ways that promote the retention and success of all students. Join us for UDL 101! (Feb. 25)
- PTF Spring "Forward" Session #1: "Places to Thrive". (Feb. 26) Details coming soon.
- Grants Showcase: You are invited to a showcase to hear the experiences of 2019-2020 recipients. (Feb. 28)
See more on our spring 2020 Flyer