Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash
Our newsletters can arrive in your inbox every month. Not a subscriber yet? Become one today!
We are excited to send this edition of the FIC newsletter. And this month, we want to express our gratitude for you and your contributions to teaching and learning at UT Austin!
What have you always wanted to do in the classroom? We encourage you to apply for one of the three FIC grant opportunities. Proposals are due Mar. 25 so you have plenty of planning time to creatively explore your teaching and learning goals. Join us to hear from 2019-2020 recipients at a showcase on Feb. 28.
- Undergraduate Teaching Grants are based on eight effective teaching principles grounded in research.
- Instructor Learning Community Grants are designed to build instructor capacity for supporting an inclusive campus climate through instruction in classrooms, clinics, studios, and labs.
- Microgrants provide faculty with startup funds to purchase educational technology or software in support of enhanced teaching and learning. (Grants will be awarded until funds are exhausted.)
Teaching Preparation Series
Explore the FIC calendar for all five TPS offerings in November. Session topics include DEI statements (Nov. 6), teaching statements (Nov. 8), and promoting student mental health (Nov. 20). Graduate students, your certificate awaits!
EL: Getting Started
The first FIC workshop and PTF Think Tank pairing starts on Nov. 7 with "Experiential Learning: What, Why, and How" (please RSVP so we can plan a light lunch). The PTF think tank on Nov. 12 will provide an opportunity to discuss your reflections and questions with colleagues.
Photo by Ben White on Unsplash
Watch Out! Brick Walls Ahead
Setbacks are inevitable for students pursing experiential learning. RSVP for the final session in our fall series on Nov. 15. We will identify strategies to successfully navigate EL challenges.
Photo by NASA on Unsplash
It's a Big, Wide World
RSVP to join us on Nov. 14 for a workshop covering Globally Exchanged Learning through Virtual Exchange. Then, share your stories on these efforts and learn from others at the PTF Think Tank on Nov. 21.
- Nov. 7, Toward a More Inclusive Classroom: Open Pedagogy. Interested in student-driven learning opportunities and OER? Our friends at UT Libraries will host up to 25 colleagues for this thought-provoking discussion.
- Nov. 19/Dec. 3, Faculty Support of Graduate Students (FIC Workshop & PTF Think Tank)
- Nov. 26, Flipped Classroom: How did you do that? Technology-Enhanced Learning Collaborative final fall semester meeting
- Dec. 11, FIC Holiday Party. Celebration of instructors and staff who help build a supportive culture of teaching and learning at UT Austin
- Jan. 16, Back to School. FIC & Canvas teams provide support for the new year